What are you favorite iPhone apps for kids? Here’s a short list of my favorites that I discussed on the local Philadelphia CBS network last week in a clip here.
There are over 1500 apps just for kids out there. And many apps tagged for adults are marvelous for kids if they are fun, easy to use, and ignite creativity. Everyone has a different favorite – the more people I ask, the more new ideas I hear. Dr. Seuss, Curious George, and Sight Words for early readers came up often! But these are what my kids love right now. Priced in the $0.99-$1.99 category.
1. Anything by Duck Duck Moose – Nursery Rhyme apps for kids that include Itsy Bitsy Spider, Old MacDonald, and the Wheels on the Bus. Repetition is king when it comes to toddlers and preschoolers!
2. iWrite Words – Let’s the kids learn how to trace letters and spell words. Super for the Pre-K bracket just learning to read. Their “lite” version is even free, but you’ll need to pay for the full version that includes both lowercase and uppercase letters.
3. The Cupcake app – Lets you bake, decorate, and eat cupcakes. My 4 year old chef has a field day topping strawberry flavored cupcakes with blue icing, gummy bears, sprinkles, and jelly beans!
and don’t just limit the learning to apps you buy:
4. YouTube: Amazing for the kids. Besides movies as people expect, there are tons of the most famous children’s book on YouTube. They are illustrated and read in great quality (to music too!) on YouTube. We have Harold and the Purple Crayon, Good Night Moon, Where the Wild Things Are, etc. all saved as favorites. Free and it’s like reading a book to your kids. They love it!
5. Wikipedia – Instant encyclopedia. If we’re on a hike and see an interesting bug we just look it up and learn more!