What are you favorite iPhone apps for kids? Here’s a short list of my favorites that I discussed on the local Philadelphia CBS network last week in a clip here.
There are over 1500 apps just for kids out there. And many apps tagged for adults are marvelous for kids if they are fun, easy to use, and ignite creativity. Everyone has a different favorite – the more people I ask, the more new ideas I hear. Dr. Seuss, Curious George, and Sight Words for early readers came up often! But these are what my kids love right now. Priced in the $0.99-$1.99 category.
1. Anything by Duck Duck Moose – Nursery Rhyme apps for kids that include Itsy Bitsy Spider, Old MacDonald, and the Wheels on the Bus. Repetition is king when it comes to toddlers and preschoolers!
2. iWrite Words – Let’s the kids learn how to trace letters and spell words. Super for the Pre-K bracket just learning to read. Their “lite” version is even free, but you’ll need to pay for the full version that includes both lowercase and uppercase letters.
3. The Cupcake app – Lets you bake, decorate, and eat cupcakes. My 4 year old chef has a field day topping strawberry flavored cupcakes with blue icing, gummy bears, sprinkles, and jelly beans!
and don’t just limit the learning to apps you buy:
4. YouTube: Amazing for the kids. Besides movies as people expect, there are tons of the most famous children’s book on YouTube. They are illustrated and read in great quality (to music too!) on YouTube. We have Harold and the Purple Crayon, Good Night Moon, Where the Wild Things Are, etc. all saved as favorites. Free and it’s like reading a book to your kids. They love it!
5. Wikipedia – Instant encyclopedia. If we’re on a hike and see an interesting bug we just look it up and learn more!
9 thoughts on “Best iPhone Apps for Kids”
LOVED the television spot! Totally agree that apps can be a wonderful diversion for our children. I’m a Mom to two boys, ages 4 and 10. We spend a lot of time in the car, and apps have been a wonderful way to pass the time — from listening as a family to audio stories, playing trivia games, or the boys playing by themselves an educational game or reading a book.
My boys are luckier than most, as I’m working with an app development company — Once Upon an App. So they get to test market each of our apps before they are sent to iTunes for approval (they’ve been a tremendous help in identifying any glitches!)
I encourage you to check us out at http://www.onceuponanapp.com Our niche is “classic” literature . . . and we believe what sets us apart from so many of the other interactive children’s apps is our appreciation for beautiful illustrations, poetry, and original music compositions.
I love these ideas! I think a lot of the best apps even mimic just good old fashion games like Blokus or Tangrams. We started a site since we got a lot of requests from friends on what we liked at http://apps4ikids.com – which has our take on certain apps that we try out for our son with a learning slant in mind.
Great ideas here. When your kids are using the iPhone, you want to make sure it’s as educational as possible. Stack the States teaches kids all about the 50 states including capitals, state shapes, location on the map and more. Kids have so much fun playing the game that they forget they are learning! http://bit.ly/c9qG6D
2010 Volvo C70 Mostly in railway carriage too insurance policies insurer is obliged superb to gently pay thoroughbred the maximum rate of extra.
It is very kind of you to take time to provide this informative information for us, i hope you can bring about more useful information next time.
My son loves Letter Peek, Alphababy and I hear Ewe (the last two are free) For moms, you can check another great free—Intuition (www.iconapps.com) aka “mom’s personal assistant”. Task management tool that simplifies Mom’s busy schedules. Thanks to epidural and me-being forgetful, I’ve been so dependent on it lately.
You might find that you cannot purchase a unit which is in good condition.
Or, if your picnic is at a park, you can plan games around
included facilities. The time of Halloween experiences the flooding of orders from the
followers of Mario.
For an added bonus, purchase an island with cabinets to store
your office supplies. Many select to use the best surface area to hold microwaves or
other little appliances even though some homeowners pick to
use the leading as an additional workstation. You can use the islands for keeping your kitchen organized with the extra cupboards
After looking over a few of the blog articles on your site, I honestly like your way of writing a blog.
I book-marked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back in the near future.
Take a look at my website too and tell me your opinion.