Just a few of my fave “family” outdoor activities:
Hiking in the woods behind our house or heading out for real hike at Valley Forge National Park which is just a 2 miles from my house. Kids love exploring on the trails, throwing rocks into the creeks, and keeping an eye out for deer, snakes or any kind of animal.
- We also enjoy family walks with the stroller on summer evenings just around our block – the fresh air is good for everyone and sometimes it feels nice to just walk off dinner.
- Catch and basketball in the driveway are fun although feel less “physical” than running, biking or hiking.
- Walks on the beach when we’re on vacation with our Jog Stroller – one of the best parenting “equipment” investments we’ve ever made
- Playing Hide & Go Seek or Tag in the Yard
- Setting up the sprinkler and hose for good old fashioned splashing fun
Our jogging stroller (a Bob Ironman) has been an incredible tool to help keep us active on runs and hikes after having kids. We also bought a Kelty backpack on Craigs List which has been great for tougher hikes that a stroller could not easily navigate. I think our next big purchase to help keep us on the move and active will be both a double jogging stroller and a bike trailer so we can get back to bike riding along the Schuylkill River which is only 2 miles from our house. Hopefully we can also secure those items via Craigs List as seriously that kind of equipment is expensive -but we feel committed to being more active and think it might help all 4 of us get on outdoors and explore even more frequently.
I’d love to hear what cool activities you do as a family to keep everybody moving! Especially if you have any brilliant ideas for the winter as I know living in the Northeast that can be our hardest time of year to get outside and on the go.
Disclosure: This blog post is sponsored by Healthy Choice. Please visit http://www.spokespersonwanted.com/ for more information on Healthy Choice and to print a free $1 off coupon.